MTN says Mr. Raymond Atuguba failed to pay his bills
Mobile giant MTN says it cut the telephony services of the Executive Secretary of the defunct Constitution Review Commission, Dr. Raymond Atuguba due to his failure to pay his bills.
Dr. Atuguba sued MTN two weeks ago over disruption of telephony services. According to him he was forced to drag the telecommunication giants to court because he has been complaining about poor services from MTN since 2004 and the disconnection of his service without prior notice.
A press statement from the mobile giant to Citi Business News
over the matter however stated the issue is a commercial one involving the non-payment of overdue bills and not an issue of over billing as alleged.
Below is the full copy of the statement
It has come to the notice of MTN that allegations are being made in sections of the media about disconnection of communications services to Dr. Raymond Atuguba, a customer of MTN. While it is the policy of MTN not to comment on an issue that is the subject of legal proceedings, we would like to make the following clarifications:
· MTN values its relationship with its customers and seeks at all times to provide the best services to customers.
· As a company, we are committed to amicable settlement of all issues that may arise, especially when they involve a customer.
· The matter at hand, as we have stated in all our processes filed in court, is a commercial one involving the non-payment of overdue bills and not an issue of over billing as alleged.
· As a matter of policy, it is our practice to take steps to respond to concerns raised by customers and resolve any issues. While attempting to resolve the issues over a reasonable period, the customer continues to enjoy MTN services.
· As a commercial entity we cannot sustain extended provision of comprehensive services to a customer who refuses to pay non-disputed bills; consequently per Company policy, we implement partial withdrawal of services for non–payment of bills after diverse efforts to engage have proved futile. In those cases, initially, the customer can receive calls but cannot make calls.
· The disputed roaming bill was not the reason for partial withdrawal of services as it forms part of a larger bill that remains unpaid to date.
MTN takes this opportunity to assure our valued customers that our doors are always open and we are committed to engaging customers anytime they have issues and will do our best to achieve amicable resolutions.
By: Vivian Kai Mensah/citifmonline.com