Dandelion is a valuable herb that can be used as a food and medicine.
Dandelion is a rich source of vitamins A, B complex, C, and D, as well as minerals such as iron, potassium, and zinc. Dandelion leaves are used to add flavour to salads, sandwiches, and teas. The roots are used in some coffee substitutes, and the flowers are used to make wines.
Dandelion can also be used in local diets. Here is a recipe of a Ghanaian delicacy, Palm-nut soup with dandelion as a major ingredient. The soup can be served with fufu, Banku, rice, yam etc.
Palm nut fruits, dandelion leaves, Kwawu Nsusua. You may want to cut down on meat for health reasons so dry fish then becomes the best option (Amane, Adwene, nsesaawa etc), pepper, onions, fresh tomatoes, salt, garlic, and prekese.
• Wash and boil palm fruits together with pepper and “kwawu nsusuaa” in a saucepan; add washed dandelion leaves when the palm fruits are half-cooked.
• Add grinded onions, garlic and a little salt to your washed dry fish in a sauce pan don’t forget your tomatoes.
• Pound your palm fruits together with the dandelion leaves, Kwawu nsusuaa and pepper.
• Mix the paste with the stalk of the boiled palm nut fruits.
• Stir with hand to remove the fiber residue by squeezing the juice out of it.
• Strain to separate the juice from the nuts and the rest of the fiber.
• Put the saucepan containing your dry fish on fire and boil for just about five minutes and add you palm nut juice
• Wash prekese and an extra onion bulb and add it to the soup
• Remove tomatoes and onion bulb and grind and return mixture back into the soup
• Let soup simmer on low heat for 40 to 45minutes
• Serve with cooked local rice, fufu, yam ,plantain, kenkey etc
Dandelion Juice for Dessert
For desert you may want do away with the common ice cream and explore delicious nutritious dandelion Juice.
Dandelion and Water.
• Wash dandelion leaves with salt or vinegar
• Blend dandelion leaves
• Pour mixture in a glass and Voila! !! You have you desert
You don’t want to mess with the kind of food you eat; not when health experts have proven that what you eat can actually cure you of certain diseases. My advice? Don’t just eat.
If you have to eat, you may want to go for something that does not only satisfy your hunger but at the same time cures an ailment or prevents you from getting certain diseases.
Source: The Globe